Friday, March 7, 2008

Next up: live art at Diwang Pinay!


Fly Lady Di has got to be the most enthusiastic Pinay FiRE's come across in the call for artists! As soon as she offered to do some live art for Diwang Pinay, how could we refuse?! She's an amazing woman, and this one time Miss Manila Runner-up (TRUE STORY!) can be described best via this FAQ, answered by the artist herself:


How would you describe your style?
A cross between cubism, graffiti, art nouveau, and art deco. A sort of Brooklyn Renaissance.

What inspires your work?
Sometimes painting is all I have to express myself (beside dance.) My paintings are songs I can't sing and poems I can't write down. A lot of times, pain drives one to create. Many of my pieces were created out of this. New work inspirer me a lot.

How long does it take you to finish a painting?
It all depends. Some of them have taken weeks, some several months to complete. The journey within the painting is as fascinating as the painting itself, in my opinion. I try to stay patient, because I am a meticulous painter and it takes me a while sometimes to "perfect" and render the way I want (with clean and bold lines.)

Did you go to art school?
I like to say I'm "self-taught," but my Father taught me everything I know about art before I learned it in school. He used to discourage me from art, because he gave up as an artist. But he is probably my biggest supporter now because he sees what I am doing with it.

What are your goals as an artist?
I just really want to perpetuate the tradition of painting. I want to be the next answer to female painters in art history. I want to be a rock-star painter, kind of like a kat von d, but with painting. It is through my live painting performances and art shows that I want to fuse my gift of painting with entertainment as well.